Thursday, October 04, 2007

On Risk and Reclamation


Channel surfing wasn't a total waste last night as I stumbled across a report about the La Jolla sinkhole on CNN.

I'm afraid you'll have to search for a transcript (I guess search for transcripts for the Anderson Cooper show), but I distinctly remember the on-site reporter saying the affected area had been developed some sixty years ago using a variety of engineering techniques, (I also remember the term "terraced" or "terracing").

I bring this up to reiterate that it isn't just New Orleans or the Gulf Coast where you've had extensive work done to natural terrain. Hell, throw in projects like modern road systems, water and sewer/drain lines, and there's hardly a settled area that HASN'T undergone profound modification. Neither is there an area where there isn't some measure of risk.

Abandonment is NOT a solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment