Tuesday, October 23, 2007

A Sense of Perspective


I hope people don't think I'm trying to minimize the effects of the SoCal wildfires--to the contrary, it's an absolutely horrible situation. But perhaps it also provides some insight to the tragedy here along the Gulf Coast.

The latest report notes that upwards of 1500 structures have been lost to the blaze.

Katrina, Rita, and the federal flood destroyed approximately 275,000 homes and who knows how many additional structures (and you can add infrastructure issues like damaged roads, water and sewer systems, gas lines, and electrical grids, etc.)

Again, my thoughts and heartfelt sympathy goes out to those folks in California who've lost their houses--or worse. And, to paraphrase something I wrote just yesterday (yeah, yeah, citing myself, I know...), we are all Californians, we are all New Orleanians, we are all Kansans, we are all New Yorkers...last I checked, it was still the "United" States, not the "It's Not My Problem" States.

No comments:

Post a Comment