Thursday, January 15, 2004

I'll Report, You...

Don't know what to say about this, but the article is well worth reading.

"I’m not guilty, I’m not guilty, God, please help me," Williams yelled at about 10:04 a.m. as four execution team members carried him into the death chamber with the shunts in place. "God, please help me," Williams said several times, as he was strapped to the gurney in the death chamber.

Tears could be seen from his left eye.

At 10:06 a.m., an execution team member attached the tubes carrying the flow of lethal chemicals to the shunts in Williams’ arms.

Bonnie Williams got out of her chair and leaned against the window that separated her from her son. Williams didn’t look at her. She continued to sob.

"God, please help, God, please hear my cry," Williams said several times.

A minute later, Williams stopped speaking, and his mother’s cries became louder. "My boy," she said.


Now, I know that everyone in prison claims they're innocent. And I know that this can't be the case. However, as TalkLeft often notes, over one hundred people have been released from Death Rows around the country due to DNA evidence making a strong case for wrongful prosecution--which is not, per se, something that you can file a damage suit for.

And, if you're dead, it won't make much difference anyway.

I have no idea if Williams was genuinely innocent or if this was just an attempt to avoid his fate. What's sad is that we'll never know, as the State of Ohio will now close the books and simply move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment