Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Self-Fulfilling Prophesy

Ben Tripp has several things to say about the recent announcements regarding terrorism and elections:

The Federal government is putting a plan in place to postpone the presidential election in November. Mind you, this is only to be implemented in the event of a terrorist attack on the nation at around that time. However it should be noted that "We assume an attack will happen leading up to the election," according to a Top Washington Official. So if you wanted to look really clever, you could put these two ideas together: We assume the presidential election will be postponed...

Having a plan to postpone the election is like the pilot of a commercial jet wearing a parachute onto the plane. It sends the wrong message...

What constitutes a terrorist action, who decides to postpone the election, and when do they get to decide it? "Hey boss, you're losing pretty bad in them swing states, and I hear there was a car wreck outside a polling place in Corn Cob, Alabama. You want I should cancel the proceedings?"...

Maybe I'm paranoid, like everybody says the minute I leave the room. But it seems like if I give the guy in power a button with 'postpone the election' written on it, and I tell him he should press the button if he hears any funny noises, and the guy in power starts losing, do you really imagine he's not going to find some excuse to push that button? There's a damn good reason we don't have an election-postponement system in place in this country: if we did, somebody would postpone the election.


Hmmm. In my last post, I suggested that Bush would shit on the Constitution in public if he thought it'd help him. Cancelling the elections would qualify in my book.




No comments:

Post a Comment