Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Interesting Friend of the Court Brief

Once again, I'm getting off to a late start, but I can't pass up noting this post from Timshel, who further links to The Advocate and Best of New Orleans. About what? The right of a state to control its marijuana laws, specifically in regards to physicians and compassionate use issues...

Who'd have thunk it...Louisiana taking a somewhat progressive stance on pot. Now, to be fair, the brief notes that Louisiana still has strong criminal laws regarding recreational use (which, if you ask me, is completely insane), but, surprisingly, has had compassionate use laws on the books since the late 70's. Now, I should have known about the laws, as I was acquainted with someone who received government pot at around that time while battling leukemia (he and his wife said it was low-quality ditch weed).

And, as the Best of New Orleans article notes, far stronger drugs are on the market AND prescribed--like morphine, for instance.

Last night I happened upon some of the anti-pot bleatings on C-Span, which I could stand to listen to for only a moment or so. The hysteria about pot hasn't changed all that much over the years--except that, instead of making racist appeals, the emphasis is on "protecting the children." Ha. Like Bill Hicks once said, kids are pretty smart--for instance, none of them have a full time job AND kids. And I don't think it can get any easier for kids to get their hands on pot these days. Hell, legalization of some variety might actually make it more difficult for kids to buy pot if it drove some street-level dealers out of business.

In the meantime--I wonder if there's a cure for what ails me....?

No comments:

Post a Comment