Wednesday, June 15, 2005

We Have Free Speech--Every Wednesday Between 3:00 and 4:30

Actually, if I remember it right, the quote was "I can't think of a more open place than the University. We have free speech every Wednesday between 3:00 and 4:30." The person speaking was one of the esteemed administrators at LSU...

To make a long story short, back in the 1980s a group I was in received a reprimand for leafleting on campus...so we had a second day of leafleting, featuring the Bill of Rights, which led to a Reveille article and the quote above...

Anyhoo...that quote came to mind after seeing Lamar Alexander's, um, unique excuse for avoiding an on-record approval of the US Senate resolution apologizing for failing to pass anti-lynching legislation:

I just got off the phone with a lovely staffer for Senator Alexander I called to register my displeasure with him for his refusal to co-sponsor the anti-lynching resolution last night. I told her I would like to have Tennessee's 2 Senators demonstrate a more high-minded, united attitude about such things than their counterparts in Mississippi, who seem content with furthering the racist South image that is their heritage.

She was very polite and read a prepared statement. It started off with a little misdirection: assuring me that he did not oppose the legislation, and that it passed unanimously, and that he didn't co-sponsor "because" he had already co-sponsored legislation celebrating black history month, and that he intended to bring that one up again.


Senator Alexander...here's your nickel...now go to hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment