Thursday, March 08, 2007

Barack the Scofflaw


Oh, I can see Rush Lamebone now, insisting that this is the "black" side of Barack Obama...and, oh, good heavens, is this what we can exepct from the ever more rotten press corpse?

Two weeks before the US senator from Illinois launched his presidential campaign, he paid parking tickets he received while attending Harvard Law School, officials said yesterday.

Obama received 17 parking tickets in Cambridge between 1988 and 1991, according to the city's Traffic, Parking & Transportation Department.


Hullabaloo:

I hope the Globe puts at least one more reporter full time on this parking ticket story. Who knows where it might lead? He might have been late with his rent more than a time or two. Or perhaps, he had a history of under-tipping in Cambridge coffee shops. (Who can believe he didn't after this parking ticket scandal?)

All these stories shine the light in the dark corners of the life of a privileged ivy leaguer who couldn't even be bothered to move his car so the hard working men who clean his streets could properly do his job. It shows the typical liberal contempt for the average American who doesn't get to go to Harvard. How many bus drivers and meter maids are in Iraq today, defending this country so "taxachusetts liberals" like Obama can spit in their faces?

Thank goodness the NY Times company is back on track. We haven't seen the likes of this kind of in-depth investigative journalism for oh, 15 years or so. They're back in the saddle.


And, lord knows what else they might find...maybe a DWI? Multiple DWIs? Or a senseless war based on the most cynical of lies...one that we're losing?

Um...nope, move on...there's nothing to see there...I said "scram!"

Actually, full disclosure here--if THAT'S what they're gonna get Obama on, then I don't stand a fucking chance to get elected dogcatcher, as they say down here. Hell, up in Madison, I managed to rack up a prodigious number of tickets, given the situation: not a whole lot of parking ANYWAY on the isthmus, plus the available spots are sized for your average 1960's V-8 land yacht.

Back in the day, I once "liberated" my car from the then-impound over at Law Park (now the site of the convention center). Later, I actually got to WATCH the parking-fascists tow my car away...funny enough, the meter was literally broken...as I helpfully pointed out. Then the guy asked, "what about the other tickets?"

All I could think to say was, "well...what about them?"

That said, I did pay them...this time they dropped my car off at Schmidt's, which I vaguely remember being somewhere around Park/Regent. Their lot was behind a locked gate...with large, angry looking great dane guard dogs as an added bonus.

And we don't even have to look at whether or not I inhaled...oh, what the hell: I did. So much for that run for president in '12 or '16.

No comments:

Post a Comment