Thursday, March 20, 2008

Don't Tase Me, Cher* (*pronounced "Sha")


Stun guns have made their way into the Parish public school system:

For apparently the first time, a school resource officer last week used a stun gun in a Baton Rouge public school, law enforcement and school system officials said.

On March 13, this officer, an off-duty East Baton Rouge Parish sheriff’s deputy, applied a Taser stun gun to a 13-year-old girl at Glen Oaks Middle School to stop a fight between her and two other girls.


Now, a couple of things here--I think I've mentioned before that, despite my political leanings, I don't opt for knee-jerk condemnation of police at any and all opportunity. Cops--and deputies--have a difficult job, and people being arrested are more than capable of engaging in vicious, stupid behavior...

That said, as I told a friend, my skepticism flag is at full staff on this one. Tasing a 13 year old girl? This should get more scrutiny than it probably will. Tasering people in general should receive more scrutiny.

Do we really want to live in, or be proud of, a society that routinely tasers people--or one that feels forced to?

No comments:

Post a Comment