Friday, June 13, 2008

Jindal, the Heir to Regan


I'm guess this story must've come out (to the national media) in the course of the vetting process...while I don't think it helps his cause, in my mind other factors weighed heavily against the prospect of a May-December ticket featuring McGruff and the WonderBoy McCain and Jindal.

What could be more problematic for PBJ is the long term fallout--while "exorcism" might not be quite as weird as, say, snake handling, neither is it something that garners prized space on a resume. Trying to explain could make things even worse.

Of course, what ultimately matters is whether or not the Chris Matthewses of this world consider it significant, and whether a "reasonable" explanation (i.e., "youthful indescretion of someone who took his faith seriously, although the ensuing 15-20 years have tempered his fervor," etc.) can be made. My guess is that the media will give him a free ride on this one...unless a potential rival manages to swift boat him with it (If I was doing GOP oppo research, I'd spring it during the South Carolina primary campaign), in which case all bets are off and the feeding frenzy begins. I get the feeling certain flavors of Catholicism are still viewed with suspicion in the Palmetto State.

Of course, it made zero difference here in the Gret Stet...neither in '03 nor '07.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment