Thursday, December 11, 2008

Snow Day

OK, having done some significant winter time above the snow line, my reaction to today's wintry blanket was more chills than thrills. Nonetheless, this isn't normal weather down here...so despite having barely gotten over a case of flu, I thought I'd record some local sights before coming back to my humble little casa...which, by the way, is suffering from what is fortunately only a small roof leak (delayed effect from Hurricane Gustav--gee, thanks)...later, I'll go into the attic to take a closer look; right now I just want more hot coffee. Anyway...

From 2Millionth Web Log

Yer Gret Stet Capitol Building--I was on the sidewalk by the recently opened State Museum, which isn't bad and appropriately sized for Baton Rouge--not too big, not too small.

From 2Millionth Web Log

This is the Old State Capitol, described by Mark Twain as the ugliest building on the Lower Mississippi. I dunno about that--I kind of like the Gothic castle thing. Beats the hell out of City Hall, an "excellent" example of a style that I believe is called brutalism.

From 2Millionth Web Log

The Old Governor's Mansion--this, by the way, is literally throwing distance from my little house. The Mansion was built by Huey Long, replacing an older structure on the same sight. Huey didn't exactly follow proper procedure in razing/rebuilding, and this resulted in one of the impeachment charges against him.

It also bears some resemblance to the White House. They say Huey did this deliberately--so he'd know where the bathrooms and the light switches were when he moved to Pennsylvania Avenue.

The Mansion was the official residence from roughly 1930 to 1963, and is now a museum.

Speaking of Huey--
From 2Millionth Web Log

Long never made it to the White House. Instead, his final resting place is on the State Capitol Grounds. Another story, one that I've never confirmed or debunked, is that at certain times of the year, the setting sun results in the statue/grave's shadow making what looks like an obscene gesture. If I find out, I'll let you know.

From 2Millionth Web Log

Finally--a shot of the levee. OK, so it's not much of the white stuff...but again, it being there at all is a little unusual.

Geez, my heat bill is going to be outrageous next month. Ugh.

Back later with more normal posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment