Saturday, February 21, 2004

He had Other Priorities Too

Sorry for the low volume posting, a trend likely to continue for the next few days as Mardi Gras approaches. Last night I made do with a lesser light parade here in Baton Rouge, but then I skipped the "big" parade downtown (big being a highly relative scale--Baton Rouge is a mere sideshow to the main event). Tuesday I'll be in the real city of Louisiana to celebrate the last day before Lent--who knows, I might even run into the esteemed writer at CrawlingWestward if our paths cross. Note: at some point, I'll probably head over to the Kerry Irish Pub on Decatur for liquid refreshments--and that's not an endorsement of the prospective Democratic nominee. I just happen to like the place. Otherwise, I'll be fighting for Zulu beads--those with a medallion--and will at least make an effort to catch something during Rex.

I've been back in the Gret Stet for five years now. Geez. Time doesn't just fly--it goes along at Mach 7.

In the meantime, I've been trying to keep up with the usual readings--here's something from The Island of Balta that caught my eye: G.B. Trudeau is offering to donate $10,000 dollars to the USO in the name of anyone who can offer definitive evidence that Bush showed up for Guard Duty in Alabama. Getting his teeth cleaned doesn't count. If it DID, I could claim military status myself: as the child of a military officer, both my medical and dental care were courtesy of the military, at least until dad retired--and, for dental care, it lasted a bit longer than that (I recall as a young teenager the dreary two hour ride from New Iberia to Alexandria, where there was a military base).

I'll be trying to post on a semi-regular basis through Monday--but Tuesday and Wednesday will likely be a wash. Happy Carnival Season to all...

No comments:

Post a Comment