Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Bush: "Spare Change for War?"

Reuters reports that Bush will pull out his begging bowl and scrounge to the tune of $25 billion dollars for more death and destruction in Iraq and Afghanistan. CNN has more.

I seriously doubt that will be the last request for additional cash. Like a PBS drive, once they have their hands in Congress' purse, they'll be looking for more. Right now I believe costs are running at about $1 billion dollars a week, which means $25 billion is the moral equivalent of jobless benefits. It'll do for roughly half a year, while the administration tries to pick up the pieces of a shattered Middle East policy.

That said, I sure could use some off-book supplemental cash, too. I wonder if I could put in a request with my own paymaster--hell, an extra $25,000 would be plenty for starters. And I guarantee that it'd go to something a lot more productive than the Project for a New American Century Project to turn Iraq into Rubble and the Project to turn Afghanistan into--well, it already IS mostly rubble. Gravel, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment