Monday, May 03, 2004

Citing Sources

Whiskey Bar has extended--uh, I was going to say happy hour, but "happy" is completely inappropriate. Extended sad hour, I guess. Billmon provides perspective and contemporary material.

Is it just me, or has the "news cycle" become so--what's the word?--so hyperkinetic?--that it essentially generates a collective amnesia? For instance, Dubya's May Day stunt last year on the USS Abraham Lincoln is now, well, mostly ignored, but when circumstances force it, packaged as a half time speech from the Coach in Chief, instead of what it was at the time: a cynical attempt to crow about what should have been the easiest invasion in human history. I mean, shit, Saddam Hussein was despised even by those of us who opposed the war. I'll bet he could barely count on Uday's and Qasay's support. Sending our military out against Hussein was like sending the Super Bowl champs against a mediocre squad of high schoolers. Sure, the champs said to beware--the enemy had the bomb. It turned out, though, that they didn't even have equipment.

But, funny enough, it's not turning out the way we planned. As I posted long ago, football means something different to most of the world, and now our team is finding out that it's not that easy to manuever or kick a ball into a goal when you're loaded down in heavy pads. And the crowd is cheering your every mistake.

I'm outta here for the evening, but I'll end with a promise to try--TRY--to spend some time on an extended project that's been in the back of my head for a while: to figure out some way of quickly, and easily, providing references to Team Bush's past actions, and their present tense.

Of course, one way is to cite an awfully good source: like Billmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment