Saturday, June 05, 2004

Rather: Reagan Dead

CBS News is reporting that Ronald Reagan died today. Thus far, there's nothing on the web sites, but expect that to change shortly.

I've taken to giving myself a day off on Saturdays, but I might be back later with something to say about his legacy. As you might expect, it won't be all that positive.

In a nutshell, I believe Ronald Reagan began the true dumbing down process in this country. To those who are a little younger than me, but who've managed to educate themselves in spite of ketchup being a vegetable on the school lunch menu, congratulations. To those who praise the Gipper, I say: Iran/Contra, massive deficits (Reagan was a closet Keynesian), jokes about nuking Russia--and stop believing the hype that suggests he "won" the Cold War. Study some history instead.

I don't celebrate the death of Ronald Reagan, but neither will I mourn him.


No comments:

Post a Comment