Wednesday, March 16, 2005

On Dignity

Hats off to Michael Schiavo, who appeared on Nightline to talk sensibly about his wife Terry (this link will take you to the transcript). Here's an excerpt:

Just because it's happened to Terri doesn't mean I don't still love her. She was a part of my life. She'll always be a part of my life.

And to sit here and be called a murderer and an adulterer by people that don't know me, and a governor stepping into my personal, private life, who doesn't know me either? And using his personal gain to win votes, just like the legislators are doing right now, pandering to the religious right, to the people up there, the anti-abortion people, standing outside of Tallahassee.

What kind of government is this? This is a human being. This is not right, and I'm telling everybody you better call your congressman, because they're going to run your life.

And I just want to say one more thing: Out of all these lawmakers, be it the Florida Senate, Florida House, the U.S. Congress, Governor Bush, President Bush -- I want to know who will come down and take Terri's place. Who wants to do that?


I can't imagine how Jeb Bush, et al, can live with the nauseating public spectacle they've made. Schiavo correctly pointed out that decisions like his are ROUTINELY made by grieving family members throughout the country EVERY DAY. It is ONLY political meddling by religious nuts and the politicians that toady to their wishes in exchange for cheap political support that have allowed this to go on as long as it has. As for Ms. Schiavo's parents, well, I feel for them even as I recognize that they bear some responsibility for turning her into a cause celebre for the religioius zealots. However, Ms. Schiavo is a grown woman, not a child. Her husband is her closest surviving heir. And from what I've seen, I believe he's doing what's best.

Unfortunately, I speak with some experience in this matter: three months ago, my father passed away (I don't really like getting personal here, but after watching last night I feel grateful that my family was able to make private medical decisions IN PRIVATE). Not to go into too many details, but following what he--and we--knew was a risky surgery (but one that HAD to be tried), he didn't have enough strength left to recover (he'd been in a hard fight for some time). A ventilator kept his vital signs functional, but there was no chance that he'd ever regain consciousness. Our family made the decision to gradually slow down, then stop, the machines. Under the circumstances, my father's passing was dignified, with his family--and priest--there at the end.

There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that this was the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment