Monday, April 04, 2005

Reality Bites

Riverbend managed to post something new, and, as always, I'll recommend it highly. Her theme today is the saccharine element of US television programming, particularly news, and she concludes with something I either posted on (but can't find it in the damn archives) or wanted to post about and never could boil it down properly:

I have a suggestion of my own for a reality show. Take 15 Bush supporters and throw them in a house in the suburbs of, say, Falloojeh for at least 14 days. We could watch them cope with the water problems, the lack of electricity, the check points, the raids, the Iraqi National Guard, the bombings, and- oh yeah- the ‘insurgents’. We could watch their house bombed to the ground and their few belongings crushed under the weight of cement and brick or simply burned or riddled with bullets. We could see them try to rebuild their life with their bare hands (and the equivalent of $150)…

I’d not only watch *that* reality show, I’d tape every episode.


Call it Fallujah House, run it on PBS (a la Colonial House, etc.), and I think we'll have a winner. Of course, the goal might be to get voted OFF the island here.

No comments:

Post a Comment