Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Rental Car Fishin'

Suburban Guerrilla notes this story and I actually read it earlier in the day:

In the past, car rental companies were willing to overlook minor damage to their vehicles, particularly when evidence of the renter's responsibility was flimsy. Not any more. The industry, slow to recover from the travel slump that began after 9/11, now appears bent on pursuing even the smallest cases.

"Car rental companies are getting much more aggressive about their claims," said Jeff Miller, a travel lawyer with the firm of Lipshultz & Miller in Columbia, Md. Chasing down customers who scratch or dent cars, he said, "is a growth business."


"Chasing down customers..." my ass--more like harassing the shit out of customers who haven't spent excessive time recording the smallest of defects.

I speak from experience: last year a goddamned punk from Enterprise accused me of causing damage to their car based on a fender scratch that I didn't cause (but unfortunately, didn't note in the vehicle assessment--hell, I thought it was dirt). Luckily, I had decided to shell out the extra $15 bux for insurance, which covered any liability. But I won't be renting a car from them again (actually, I won't be renting a car period--I retired my old on-its-last-legs-fossil-burner last year, bit the bullet, and bought a new, small, fuel efficient car). And the tactic of squeezing every last penny out of paying customers is pretty disgusting--but sadly typical in these times.

No comments:

Post a Comment