Monday, September 25, 2006

Geaux NOLA


And not just the Saints--Scout at First Draft pointed to this must read post from Da Po' Blog.

Truth be told, I'll be watching the game too, assuming I get back in time from my weekly encounter with, ahem, exercise (I play in a local tennis rec-level league--not real good, mind you, but it's SOMETHING, and I definitely need it, as anyone who saw me at Rising Tide can attest). But Da Po' Boy really makes the point:

I am not so sure that a functioning Superdome is a symbol of a functioning city. If the city were functioning properly, this game would not be such a big deal. It would be expected.

Make a list of all the services a city needs to function. From health care, to police, to firefighters, to electricity, to sewerage and water, to small businesses, to infrastructure upkeep, to housing – none of them are “bouncing back.” Limping back, maybe. But no bouncing.

This Monday we will prove to the nation that we can still put on a world class show – even when we haven’t yet recovered. But the next day, will anybody be trying to prove to the city’s residents that we can put on a world class recovery? Anybody?

Let me repeat: I will be in that number. I will be distracted for a day by Jesus in cleats (“Cleatus” for short?). But it’s only one day, and I am not waiting for a savior to come down from on high to fix New Orleans. I don’t believe in Jesus in a Tyvek suit.


So, geaux NOLA--and if the Saints win, too, well, that's always a nice little bonus, my opinions about American rules football notwithstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment