Monday, March 26, 2007

Private Sector "Efficiency"


I can't say I'm all that surprised--health care insurers take the premium money, then force the ailing/infirm to jump through hoops before disbursing any of their "profits." Then they deny claims, because, after all, you're healthy enough to jump through hoops...so you can't be that sick, right? Scum sucking bastards.

Topping it all off, when their despicable practices are brought to light, the excuse is always "mistakes," either by "underqualified" or "overzealous" employees. Never any admission of guilt, even as their actions no doubt have caused needless suffering and death. And, c'mon: those "underqualified" or "overzealous" employees are likely to find their way to the top of the slag-heap, as long as they're not culled by the little game of reverse lotto.

And all for a little money, as Marge Gunderson might say.

I've posted before about this: I'm STILL on the hook for unpaid medical bills, thanks to my then-job's asshole insurance company--they denied a claim I made--and, ok, to my detriment, when I got the letter, I didn't bother to check it...I thought they were accepting the claim. So, I tossed it in the round file.

I'm guessing that because I didn't do some hoop jumping of my own on that one they retroactively issued a denial of EVERY claim I'd made for a period of about two years. Two years when I'd decided to, oh, take advantage of my medical benefits. Nothing outrageous: just more or less regular visits to the doctor--actually, a nurse-practitioner, who was just as good or better than any doctor I've ever gone to--for check-ups, and some follow up appointments for specific symptoms.

All of the sudden, I was liable for full payment...and this was after I'd moved back to Louisiana, had LONG since changed jobs, had thrown away paperwork...sheez.

By the way, the bills aren't going to break my bank...but it's the principle of the thing: no way am I going to play their ridiculous game. I used my medical insurance responsibly, and in good faith. THEY played around with the concept, trying to force me to essentially take on a second job as watchdog/inspector general. No, the hell with 'em.

Fortunately, this HASN'T put me in the credit doghouse...but that's probably because the amounts aren't all that large. For those folks who DO end up in dire situations, well, that's just another example of how "freedom" is defined in a very peculiar manner by the wingnuts: a one-way street. They get the money--we get the stick.

Makes me wonder how they can sleep at night--particularly those who call themselves "Christian."

No comments:

Post a Comment