Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Banality of Stupid: Don Imus Edition

The Tears of an Assclown

I dunno--maybe it's just me, but I never "got" Don Imus--it must've been in the late 80's/early 90's when I first heard of him...right around the time I first heard of Howard Stern and Rush Lamebone, for that matter. Anyway, I remember first catching him one day while flipping through tv channels--C-Span was running a simulcast.

How...utterly...boring.

About the only "unique" Imus quality, IMHO, was his ability to somehow be both puerile and curmudgeonly in virtually the same breath: AARP mixed in with "hey, pull my finger." And this without even the novelty of, say, a REAL native New Yorker's perspective, or even the native/urban tone and manner. No, just a generic (and geriatric) case of arrested development.

Anyway, for whatever reason--because it's not like he lacks a history of boorish crudeness--he's finally getting called on his crap. Predictably, his response is a mix and match of self-pity and self-promotion. Imus isn't the first asshole to point, in a panic, to his charity work...which, yes, IS nice, but, you know, a LOT of people would be just as generous if they raked in that kind of cash. But maybe we don't think it's right to profit hugely on being a professional boor.

No comments:

Post a Comment