Friday, May 18, 2007

Friday Cat Blogging


From Jeffrey, I see that LSU mascot Mike the Tiger (the fifth "Mike") died last night. As a certified cat fan, I'm a little sad to hear/see this.

I'm of mixed opinions re: wild animals as school mascots. I can't say I'm overjoyed at the idea; on the other hand, every once in a while I like to go to the zoo/check out the tiger on campus. I'd guess Mike had a "habitat" as good as or better than average, as zoos go...which makes me think that before too long there will be another "Mike the Tiger."

Once I was walking past the cage just as the vet students who took care of Mike arrived for their nightly shift. They let me check out the interior space while they explained their routine.

I also recall the time Mike's immediate predecessor was liberated from his cage--a Tulane student thought it would make for a fun prank (IIRC, this was sometime in the early 1980's)--fortunately, the cat ran into the track stadium, which could be closed off...though he apparently frightened at least a few joggers into perhaps their fastest times ever.

Anyway...Rest in Peace Mike, from a genuine cat fan/admirer.

No comments:

Post a Comment