Friday, April 04, 2008

Two Score Years


Being alive and even slightly sentient (yes, I actually have some vague, almost random memories of the year 1968, but I'll spare you the details), I nonetheless have no recollection of Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination, but I can't help thinking both how long the struggle for civil rights and social justice is taking...and yet, how short a span of time it seems personally.

And then also I realize I've already celebrated more birthdays than Dr. King was permitted...indeed, he was 39 when he died 40 years ago. That said, he sure accomplished a hell of a lot, particularly given that there are STILL people in this world who go out of their way to try to rip him to pieces. Amazing.

Anyway...ah, I considered posting a small collage of photos plucked at random off "the google" by simply putting in the search term "1968," but, as with my childhood memories, I think I'll likewise spare you. It just doesn't seem appropriate, to be honest, although maybe I can save it for a post that's maybe a little less on the sober side. In the meantime, there are quite a lot of superb material about Dr. King on the internets today...here are a couple I came across. (you can link to the second article from the first.)

No comments:

Post a Comment