Monday, December 15, 2003

Bah

I'll try to sneak a post or two in during the day, but am unlikely to be successful. The week before Christmas is usually kind of busy over here. My guess is that the suits, as it were, want to be able to point to something productive being accomplished prior to next week--which will be pretty slow.

That said, I sometimes wonder about the whole push for productivity. Some of the people for whom I provide technical support have managed to make a career out of not doing much of anything at all. God knows what would happen if something was actually, um, "accomplished." One person's accomplishment could be an entire section's problem (and the section would be MY section. You just can't believe the number of times folks being "proactive" have managed to generate large setbacks--mostly by deleting critical files of some kind, be they related to general business or to the computer systems which I support).

But, speaking of being productive--I've got two server setups on my list this week, and need to research some vulnerabilities a consultant discovered for us a couple of weeks ago. The latter should be (no) fun--we have no idea how the potential "fix" will affect server access. My guess is that we'll do a lot of file renaming, hope for the best, and be ready to un-rename as soon as someone hollers.

Of course, given that Windows is not exactly the most stable of OS's, we won't really KNOW if problems are the result of the fix, or due to other factors...which is the ugly saga of Windows in a nutshell. But I really shouldn't complain--a substandard OS like that which Bill Gates has foisted upon us is responsible for my gainful employment...and I'm even given the day off on Christmas. Thank you, Mr. Scrooge.

Back to the grind over here...



No comments:

Post a Comment