Friday, August 26, 2005

Robertson Redux

I almost missed this John Chuckman piece in Counterpunch:

It is a sad to reflect in my twilight years that almost everything I was taught as a boy has proved to be wrong. I don't mean subjects like math or English. I mean values. Most of the evidence of my adult life tends to support the opposite of every moral lesson of my youth, certainly as they apply to the land of my birth, a place where power and greed now trump everything.

I was taught murder always is wrong. I was taught lying always is wrong. I was taught that lusting after money and power is wrong. I was taught that good men prevailed and evil men sooner or later paid for their acts. These lessons came from a ferociously-honest and brave mother who alone raised two boys on the South Side of Chicago. They came also from the church I attended. And they came from some wonderful books and stories I read.

The success of vicious Pat Robertson and his even more vicious President, George Bush, provide almost perfect allegories for the soul-dead thing America has become.

Religion, politics, journalism, and even academics serve the American worship of power and greed.


However, I think Chuckman is only partially right--those elements devoted to power and greed ARE as vicious as he asserts; however, I think there are plenty of citizens appalled at the direction they've taken the country. Here's hoping we can get organized and reverse course before it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment