Monday, February 27, 2006

Adding My Two Cents



No good deed goes unpunished, I guess. Seen at many sites I read on a daily basis (one of these days I'll be updating my blogroll properly--and don't forget to check their own links, like this one), the Katrina Cottage looks like it would make a VERY decent fit for the city...not unlike some equally decent looking prefabs Oyster noted a while back. Think about it: the plan fits the existing city aesthetic, the cost isn't outrageous, it's a good example of entrepeneurial spirit...which is probably why it doesn't stand a chance. Damn.

I have a high degree of interest in stuff like that, dating back to when this book on a UW Bookstore discount table. I'd also like to see more projects like Loft Cube, a moderately priced--and ultra modern--prefab designed for urban spaces...maybe not for long standing NOLA neighborhoods, but there are plenty of spaces where they'd make for a good fit. And while I'm thinking about it/somewhat on the subject, I'll recommend this book as well: I was lucky enough to find a copy some twenty years ago, and at least have dreams of eventually incorporating solar energy in mi casa. According to the book, solar technology stretches back, oh, a couple millenia or so.

Sadly, I doubt the federal government will show ANY interest in this type of plan, which also speaks volumes about their so-called affinity for free enterprise...which I'm guessing isn't too different from their committment to a free press: just fine so long as THEY own it.

No comments:

Post a Comment