Friday, August 18, 2006

Still Crazy After All These Years


If the flooding and virtual abandonment of New Orleans last year didn't hammer home the message that this country STILL hasn't managed to come to grips with our multi-ethnic, multi-cultural heritage, then I don't know what will...that said, here are a couple more examples of how far off we all still when dealing with racial matters:

The civil rights leader Andrew Young, who was hired by Wal-Mart to improve its public image, resigned from that post last night after telling an African-American newspaper that Jewish, Arab and Korean shop owners had “ripped off” urban communities for years, “selling us stale bread, and bad meat and wilted vegetables.”
________________________________

Redstate.com has just posted a video of Tramm Hudson -- a Republican who's frontrunner in the race for the House seat of Senate candidate Katherine Harris -- saying this:

"I grew up In Alabama, and I understand, and I know this from my own experience, that blacks are not the greatest swimmers or may not even know to swim."


Of course, Messrs. Young and Hudson subsequently joined the Mel Gibson/Trent Lott Hairshirt Club for Men and apologized (I think Senator George Allen has an open invitation). But I think these stories underscore how long the road ahead is...and how little progress has been made thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment