Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Drunk Driving and Adultery

OK, I saw this quote--after I stopped by Atrios and BigLeftOutside--from Tucker Carlson as cited by Tom Schaler posting at DailyKos.

"Rooting for Dean is fun, it's exciting, but in a way that adultery and drunk driving are fun and exciting - the next day, you're like, `What was I thinking?'," said Carlson.

When I see stuff like this, I'm going to write it down or post it or something. Recently (I think it was an Atrios link) I saw a post listing more than a dozen references to Democrats as Nazis, courtesy of the rightwing media shock troops who work for the Republican party. Before Ed Gillepsie whines and moans about MoveOn, he needs to put his own house in order.

If Tucker Carlson and his ilk want to paint a metaphor using terminology like drunk driving and adultery to describe the Dean campaign, then the right should accept similar images of their own agenda--say, for instance, if one describes the Bush presidency as the equivalent of driving drunk. Or, maybe we can suggest that Bush is in bed with corporate interests.

Or we can drop the whole thing if Carlson and the pundits agree to do the same, although I doubt they will. Their job is to come up with crap like this, which has the dual effect of cheapening the race and ensuring that Tucker has a steady supply of bow ties.



No comments:

Post a Comment