Friday, January 23, 2004

Namath Admits the Obvious

Sorry to be Gossip Central, but I watched Suzy Kolber interview Joe Namath, and my first thought was "man, he's either REALLY aged or he's drunk as a sailor."

Sure enough, it was the latter:

"I can't believe it, and I didn't even see it, and I don't want to see it," Namath told ESPN...

Namath..."told ESPN he had been drinking since 3 p.m. or 4 p.m. that day. Kolber interviewed Namath during the first half of the game, which began at 8:30 p.m. Namath has since apologized to her."

The Times article indicates "that he is seeking professional help for an alcohol problem."

Back when I drove a taxi up in Madison, several cabbies recounted Joe Namath stories to me (Joe showed up a few times to broadcast football games when he worked for ABC): universally, they said he was unpretentious, friendly, and tipped well. My definition of a good passenger.

Good luck, Joe--and I mean that sincerely.


No comments:

Post a Comment