Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Not a Particularly Comforting Notion

Self-Fulfilling Prophesy?

David Corn offers a somewhat ominous reason for Hillary Clinton to stay in the race, basically, the schadenfreude option.

While the sheer voltage of ugly racism in the United States has never ceased to amaze me, I continue to hope that in the end it's a luxury that most Americans simply can't afford in these exceedingly anxious times. Save the race-hate for AFTER the mortgage crisis, the jobs crisis, the fuel crisis, the goddamn grocery bill crisis, and so on, have at least managed to become, um, managable...

But back to Corn--he gives Hillary a HUGE benefit of the doubt, I hope with good reason, re: would she campaign vigorously to ensure a Democratic victory in 08 even if it signals the end of her viable presidential ambitions? Cockburn and St. Clair have previously suggested the opposite, that is, a McCain victory, perhaps assisted in part by a lackluster Clinton effort, leaves the door just open enough for a 2012 run.

I dunno, maybe it's my lack of ambition, but I'd be pretty satisfied with being a multi-term Senator...

No comments:

Post a Comment