Monday, September 01, 2008

A.M. Update

I've still got power so I'll note a few things: first, if I'm lucky, maybe the power won't go out at all. New projections have BR outside the hurricane-force winds. Good.

Second, I just saw a local report that suggests there could be overtopping of levees in Lafourche and Terrebone Parishes. I'm also listening to C. Ray on the local news while they're playing WWL footage: looks like there's some overtopping along the Industrial Canal. In addition, a two ships and a barge have broken loose of their moorings, but hasn't caused any damage...yet. UPDATE: The report of ships and barges along the Canal aren't confirmed. I'll post as I find out more.

I didn't quite hear it, but I think they said France St. was impassable (France St. is about two blocks west of the canal)--video footage is clearly showing overtopping, but no breaching for now. Nagin just said they're also worried about the Harvey and West Bank canals. He also reported a fire at Broad at Esplanade and one in Jefferson Parish.

Other than that, not much else. Up here I've noticed a few significant gusts while writing this, and outside there are a lot of small branches and leaves that have blown off the trees. Wish this was the worst of it, but being on the east side...

For the record, landfall was/is at a little town called Cocodrie in Terrebone Parish.

Hmmm...just had quite a wind gust comeing from due east.

OK, I'm gonna make some coffee, and if everything's thawed, I'm going to do some cooking right now before the power goes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment