Friday, April 16, 2004

Transportation Rant

I almost forgot--it's been at least a week since I've carped or bitched about the lack of transportation alternatives to private vehicles (although I did just that in a Timshel post on Wednesday, I think. It was about the legislature finally thinking about making ANY open container with alcohol in a car illegal). But, I came across this article over at Jesus' General almost by accident (don't ask).

The piece is worth checking out in its entirety. It's a little long to attempt to summarize with a pulled paragraph or two, but here's the gist, IMHO: SUV's appeal on a psychological level to folks because they provide the appearance of safety (different from actual safety) along with, yes, a greater degree of passive safety (that is, if you ASSUME you'll be getting into a wreck anyway, sure, wrap some extra metal around yourself. But if you'd, say, like to AVOID accidents, you might want a vehicle that responds a little better).

But I don't do it enough justice. Read it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment